Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rue St. Denis

Paris is known as the City of Light. But beneath that light is a dark seductive mystery. It is one of these mysteries that is Rue St. Denis.

The street's namesake, Saint Denis, was a Christian martyr beheaded by pagan priest on the highest hill in Paris- now Montmartre. It is said that after his head was cut off he picked it up and walked the six miles of what is now Rue St. Denis, preaching a sermon along the way. 

Today this street of the martyred saint is the home of stylish boutiques, up scale restaurants and sex clubs. It is a mystery how the secular and the holy co-exist side by side. It is this balance of the wicked and the divine that captures the imagination.

Come. Discover the mystery of Rue. St. Denis.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, I would like to use your photo of Saint-Denis' street for my blog : http://thedayafterkorea.wordpress.com . I couldn't find another way to contact you. If you agree with my using your picture, could you contact me through my blog? Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete