Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Great Lena Horne

 As you may know, the wonderfully talented Lena Horne passed away on Sunday May 9, 2010.

I  met her when I was returning to Los Angeles from Seattle in 1982.  I fly up to Washington to attend my college roommate's wedding and decided to take the train back. It being an overnight trip I thought I would get a sleeper. I arrive at the train station and there she was- shining- I'm not lying- she was radiant. I walked up to her and said something I can't remember. And she said something I can't recall but what I do remember is her smile and her grace. WOW. I didn't get a sleeper because Ms. Horne had reserved all of them but I did have dinner with her granddaughter- Jenny Lumet- a mere teenager at the time.

I'm sure that neither Ms. Horne or Ms. Lumet remember me but I will always have that moment when I was on a slow moving train when I met a legend.





One of my favorite song of her's is "The Lady is a Tramp". I thought I would provide a video link but couldn't find one of that song. But there is her classic "Stormy Weather".  Here to the memory of the trailblazer, the activist, the legend- Lena Horne.

No comments:

Post a Comment